Influence extends reach and provides opportunities to impact more people with the vision you carry. But what is influence? Merriam Webster online dictionary defines influence as:
The power or capacity of causing an effect in indirect or intangible ways.
If you are to gain leverage in your given field you mustn’t under estimate the power of influence to open new doors for you. It is important that you endeavour to make your presence felt, seen, heard and known. This can be difficult in a crowded marketplace. Key to achieving this is the ability to remain fresh, passionate and unique. I will make some suggestions as to how a little later.
Now there are those who argue that women have to work harder to be considered as influential, much harder than men. This may or may not be true, but what is true is that however hard a woman has to work, that hard work will eventually pay off. Because influence, like a gentleman it will open doors, with colourful recommendations for her. Influence will give her the opportunity to impact lives positively on a bigger scale.
In fact influence will cause her to stand out of the crowd or at least put her head and shoulders above the rest.
How you know you have influence:
1. People other than your family and friends listen to and act on what you suggest
2. People follow you and want to know about you
3. People respect your views and want to make them theirs
4. People refer you to others and share what you’re doing
5. People show up in their masses when you’re involved
So how can you, as a woman grow in influence
- Write books and or articles about your field. This will position you as an expert.
- Host seminars, workshops and conferences where you speak on your subject matter.
- Put yourself forward for speaking engagements.
- Network with other experts in your field, join their conversations.
- Use social media platforms and post regularly. This is great way to showcase your specialism
- Write for magazine and papers.
- Make yourself more visible when and wherever possible.
- Get yourself on the radio or be a regular guest on podcast. Better yet create your own podcast